www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Stock NA shocks with Koni inserts on a Rev 3 turbo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilly

Feedback Score: 0

1996 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Stock NA shocks with Koni inserts on a Rev 3 turbo? Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi guys, so I’ve been researching suspension options for my 96 rev3 turbo.

Currently I have Meister R Coilovers which came with the car and I’m not happy at all with the ride quality. Now I have heard good things about these coilovers so it might be down to the fact they are tired, as I have no idea how old they are. I’ve tried every setting on the shocks and can’t come up with a happy medium between back breaking and bouncing all over the road. The car is completely unsettled over anything but smooth roads. To be honest it’s ruining my enjoyment big time! As it’s not confidence inspiring at all!

I’m thinking about picking up some used NA rebuildable shocks. Sandblasting and powder coating them. Then running Koni inserts with a good set of lowering springs.

So my questions are;

Does anyone have experience of this setup on a tubby?
What springs would be advisable for a fast road use?
rev3gtturbo

Feedback Score: 1

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

With all the potholes and speed bumps and car park ramps I would not lower an mr2.

If you can get them, the correct oem shocks are pretty good for road use if they are not worn out.

Putting the correct oem shocks on your car will make your insurance a lot cheaper - good money you can spend on things that will make you happier.... such as fuel/tyres for your fast road use or track days haha.

Not tried coilovers, but are you giving the car enough miles for a change of setup to settle down? (Advice I was given when playing around with motorcycle suspension setup and I did find a combination of settings that I liked).
raptor95GTS
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

the combo of n/a struts and inserts has been done and works as well as any change however remember the turbo cars came with stiffer suspension and lower (esp rev3+). I actually have B6 Yellow Bilsteins and very slightly lowering springs for sale that I took off my old rev3 turbo, new front top mounts / dust boots. Postage would be a total nightmare unless buyer organised courier.

shocks - https://photos.app.goo.gl/3w9ptz9pf5Qgo6CY6

you can see how it sits on the wheels (17's)
https://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194649&start=0&p_sid=f4cf6b3f6d96506fe259ba7a57dd88cf
BALDYMONSTER

Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I replaced my inserts with 25% upgraded items with my -40mm progressive rate shocks and the difference for the money was incredible.

I did cut and seal the rear arches to run 10mm spacers as well mind you. [Wink]
Dilly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

rev3gtturbo wrote:
With all the potholes and speed bumps and car park ramps I would not lower an mr2.

It’s already lowered! Actually sits at a sensible height, so no problems with clearance!

If you can get them, the correct oem shocks are pretty good for road use if they are not worn out.

Yeah thought about this, not sure if the black Bilsteins are still available and how they would suit uprated springs?

Putting the correct oem shocks on your car will make your insurance a lot cheaper - good money you can spend on things that will make you happier.... such as fuel/tyres for your fast road use or track days haha.

Umm, ok thanks dad 😂

Not tried coilovers, but are you giving the car enough miles for a change of setup to settle down? (Advice I was given when playing around with motorcycle suspension setup and I did find a combination of settings that I liked).

Yeah good point. I usually adjust and leave for at least a week of daily driving maybe I’ll leave a little longer.
Dilly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

raptor95GTS wrote:
the combo of n/a struts and inserts has been done and works as well as any change however remember the turbo cars came with stiffer suspension and lower (esp rev3+). I actually have B6 Yellow Bilsteins and very slightly lowering springs for sale that I took off my old rev3 turbo, new front top mounts / dust boots. Postage would be a total nightmare unless buyer organised courier.

https://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194649&start=0&p_sid=f4cf6b3f6d96506fe259ba7a57dd88cf

Yeah they came with the black Bilsteins. But I’ve heard good things about the Koni inserts.
I’ve had B6 Bilsteins on one of my honda’s and didn’t get on with them. That was B6 shocks with Eibach springs. Was way too stiff for the road imo. In fact they are still sat in the garage as I replaced with KW Coilovers.
Dilly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

BALDYMONSTER wrote:
I replaced my inserts with 25% upgraded items with my -40mm progressive rate shocks and the difference for the money was incredible.

What inserts and springs are you running?

You have 40mm progressive springs right?
BALDYMONSTER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Dilly wrote:
BALDYMONSTER wrote:

KYB if I recall correcrly, 25% uprated inserts.
Dilly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

BALDYMONSTER wrote:
Dilly wrote:
BALDYMONSTER wrote:

Interested to know what springs you paired them with?
raptor95GTS
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Dilly wrote:
raptor95GTS wrote:

Yeah they came with the black Bilsteins. But I’ve heard good things about the Koni inserts.
I’ve had B6 Bilsteins on one of my honda’s and didn’t get on with them. That was B6 shocks with Eibach springs. Was way too stiff for the road imo. In fact they are still sat in the garage as I replaced with KW Coilovers.

must admit I thought the B6's were pretty good on the MR2, I had std springs on at first but when I replaced the shocks again (80k miles later) I initially fitted H&R -20mm springs and they weren't good. Front was very bouncy but when I changed the springs to TOM's -10mm the car handled really nice. It is however very much like tyres, everyone has their feel [Cool]
BALDYMONSTER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Dilly wrote:
BALDYMONSTER wrote:
Dilly wrote:
BALDYMONSTER wrote:

Tbh I really couldn’t be certain, I think they are leijfors (sp) and they are -40mm. Most likely -45mm due to age related sag.

Interested to know what springs you paired them with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: